Club History

Amherst Club in 1950’s??

Amherst Club in 1950’s??

The picture on the left is the club as we see it today and the one on the right is a picture of the club possibly in the early 1950’s. Notice the difference to the steps and the door. Also as you can see the parkiing lot was grass at one time. Anyone have any idea when the picture might have been taken. The Curling Club opened in 1948.

Amherst Curling Club History by Janice Amos

Amherst Curling Club History by Janice Amos

“The Long Road to the Amherst Curling Club” Opened on New Years Day 1948 Curling in the Town of Amherst traces back 136 years to January 23rd, 1873 when four rinks of curlers from Pictou meet four rinks from the old St. Andrews Curling Club of St. John, Pictou having won with a score of 84-77. The games were played on Christie’s Pond (behind the Amherst Firehall) The tournament took several days to complete, due to weather and other things. The visiting curlers stayed at the MacFarlane and Hamilton Hotels. In 1887 Henry Ketchum had begun work on the Chignecto Ship […]